Scoliosis and Swimming

I went swimming this morning to try and ease the pain in my back. My back hurt all day yesterday. I took tylenol and laid on the couch with the heating pad when I got home from work. Not sure why it was hurting so bad but it still hurt worse than normal when I got up this morning. My friend's sister has back problems related to a slipped disk and her doctor recommended swimming. So I tried it out this morning. It actually went very well and my back is only hurting a normal amount. Plus it was very refreshing. I'm not very good at it and it is actually kind of boring but it seems to have helped. The problem is that my back seems to hurt more when I am inactive. Like yesterday I woke up with it hurting and didn't work out. Then I sat for 9 hours in a training class with limited breaks. Plus it has routinely hurt more since I started working a full-time job. and sitting down all day. That is why I thought swimming might help but have less stress than running. The picture depicts why my back is hurting.

Just because everyone else is doing it, I thought I would post a picture of my new running shoes. I went to a running store and got fitted. The lady watched me walk and then brought out shoes and watched me in all of them. I tried on about 9 pairs but finally decided on these. I absolutely love them! I would recommend everyone get fitted for their next pair. They fit perfect, are light weight, and my feet never hurt.

6 comments:

Brenda Walker said...

Wow, good luck with your back. I know all about backs hurting more if you don't do anything, I don't have your kind of back problems, but if I don't stretch everyday or do something physical my back hurts much more than usual.

The Grandparents said...

My precious Lindsay, I have had back problems ever since Carey was an infant, so I sympathize some. But nothing like what you have had, or your mom's, either. We are praying for you, honey, and hope the new course of action will give you some relief. We love you. Oh, also praying for your choice of a new church. It's the looking for it that is so hard, I think. Because once you let the Lord lead you, you will know when you find it. Take care of yourself. COG

Mimi and Poppy said...

I'm sorry your back hurts. Bless your little heart. But at least you have new shoes! Where is the "get fitted" store? I must go there.

Caleb said...

Ow. That picture looks extremely painful. Have fun with your shoes.

Auntie Eisel said...

Cute shoes! Hopefully they can ease the back pain.... or something! :) I hope the swimming helps.

CrazyUncle said...

I took Tylenol and laid on a heating pad, too! And my back did not even hurt.

Sorry for the back pain. I would try to empathize, but I really cannot imagine what that type of constant pain must feel like. I hope the swimming helps.

So, do good running shoes actually do all the work for you? If so, maybe I could run. If not, I need a good pair of sitting shoes. Or maybe they've got some TV shoes in my size.