Open Water Swimming

I'll start at the beginning.  The swim part of my sprint tri did not go well.  I had done exactly one practice swim in Lake Lewisville and was NOT prepared.  I absolutely hated the swim...from getting water up my nose to getting kicked numerous times to almost being caught by the next wave start, it was not a good experience.  So being the eager, stupid person I am...I logically signed up for another race with an open water swim over three times as long as the sprint. 

I am doing the Stonebridge Ranch Olympic Triathlon on September 25th.  The swim is 1500 meters. 

Immediately after the sprint tri, I signed up for swim lessons.  My friend, Blake, and I took 8 lessons from a young college student.  But she really did help me a ton!  She taught me to breath on both sides to balance out my stroke, drills to help with my form, and the basic of the free style stroke.  I feel MUCH more confident in the pool.  However, the lake was still a different story. 

I have been so busy at work I haven't had time for many (or any) practice swims.  So this week I decided I would do two practice open water swims a week until my race.  The first one did not go well.  Let's just say it began with my crying and Justin having to get in the lake with me.  I did end up swimming some that day and got a little used to the odd feeling of swimming in open water...it is very disorienting at first.  Since then I have done two successful swims in Lake Ray Hubbard (1200 and 1000 meters).  I am getting used to swimming without being able to see anything since the lake is so cloudy.  I am also learning to sight to keep myself going in the right direction.  I still don't like swimming in the lake but I am beginning to feel more comfortable and not absolutely hate it.  One thing that is hard to get used to is the nasty water going in and out of your nose and mouth!  Hopefully with four more swims under my belt in the next two weeks, I will be more than ready for my race!

1 comments:

CrazyUncle said...

I have a great idea. Buy some goggles, paint a lake shore scene on them, then just wear those and swim in your folks' pool. Nice, huh? Worried that it won't taste the same? Scoop some dirt into you mouth after each lap or so.